As the time to set the clocks back for Daylight Savings Time approaches I hope that I can use the extra hour of sleep to catch up on some much needed rest. I have been working myself crazy finishing projects for my School Library & Information Technology Masters program. The latest project was on Web 2.0 technology. I have also been working on a presentation on TRAILS: Tool for Real-Time Assessment of Information Literacy Skills for the NYCDOE Office of Library Services fall conference. Each project is going to make our library program stronger, if I survive them. We will be leaping on Leap Day, February 29, 2012 as this is the date that is set for the grand opening of our newly renovated P.S. 32 library. Wait until you see the what the new ceiling mural looks like. With our new computer lab equipped with current technology (iMacs, MacBooks, and iPads), we will be able to take advantage of some fantastic Web 2.0 applications. Some that I really love using are:
- MAKE BELIEFS COMIX!
- Movie Maker | Xtranormal
- Museum Box
- Storybird – Collaborative storytelling
- TechSmith | Jing, instant screenshots and screencasts
- ToonDoo – World’s fastest way to create cartoons!
- Wordle – Beautiful Word Clouds
By using the TRAILS assessment we can see the information standards that our students require the most work to master and tailor our curriculum to best match student needs.
Library Media Central (LMC) Arrivals
(Events and Happenings at LMC)
Thanks to Adrianna Mitchell (the children’s librarian at the Carroll Gardens Branch of the Brooklyn Public Library ), the third grade had a great visit with author,
- Pick your topic
- Set your goals and plan
- Organize your findings
- Evaluate your goals
- Produce a product to show your learning
- Present the product to an audience
We just received a $5,000 grant from BlackRock through Kellie M. (a parent from our Kindergarten). We will use this money to jump start our eBook collection.
Library Advisory Committee (LAC)
The Library Advisory Committee met on Thursday, November 3 to discuss plans for the Library Media Central once the library renovation is done. The following issues were discussed:
- EXTENDED HOURS and Staffing/Volunteers
- Setting up the Apple lab
- Creating a family library & technology survey
- Using Wiggio.com, a free online community collaboration tool where you can share and edit files, manage a group calendar, poll your group, post links, set up conference calls, chat online and send mass text, voice and email messages to your group members. Each group member can define how he or she wants to keep informed of group activity. For an overview of what your group can do on Wiggio, click on VODPOD video on the bottom of the column to the right.
- Setting our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) for the LMC. An AUP is a written agreement for all parties on a community computer network where each promises to adhere to rules of conduct for using technology and the Internet for the common good. The NYCDOE Office of Library Services Librarian Handbook states, “(We) have a responsibility to provide students a safe and healthy environment in which to learn. That responsibility has taken on multiple new dimensions with the availability of the Internet. Student safety is being addressed in three ways: filtering, AUP Agreements, and teaching students the ethical and safe use of information.”
- Building our eBook collection
- Ordering magazines
- Setting up Email accounts for students and family members
P.S. 32 Parent Reading Resources Wiki
Visit our P.S 32 Parent Reading Resources Wiki page. Here you will find many tools to help you to choose quality literature to motivate your children to read and to build a literate life.
Library Media Central Departures
(Events and Happening Outside of the LMC)
Visit the Brooklyn Public Library Carroll Gardens Branch for a Party on Thursday, November 11th from 4pm to 5pm. No registration necessary. They are having a party to celebrate the upcoming new book of Ivy and Bean. They will have different activities open to all ages interested in the Ivy and Bean series!
396 Clinton St. @ Union St.
Brooklyn, NY 11231