Our after school program/summer camp runs in partnership with generous funding and support by the New York City Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) and is open to all students in Kindergarten (who are at least 5 years old) through 5th grade at P.S. 32 and the surrounding community. Previously known as OST (Out of School Time), COMPASS (COMPrehensive After School System) is a newly revamped model of after school programming which seeks to integrate best practices and cater to the whole child.
According to the NYC DYCD website, key elements of all COMPASS NYC programs are:
- Robust opportunities for youth to explore their interests and creativity
- Intentional integration of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematic (STEM) into traditional programming to expose them to content and future professions
- Age-appropriate programming that is hands-on, project-based and aligned with educational standards
- Environments that support social and emotional learning
- High quality arts and sports instruction
- Strategies that support youth and families during critical educational transitions
- Emphasis on youth engagement and making learning fun
Our program aims to help youth build skills to support their academic achievement, raise their confidence, and cultivate their leadership skills through service learning and other civic engagement opportunities. Beyond STEM learning, we strive to integrate literacy into our classes and offer homework help, basic arts instruction, team building, dance and physical recreation. Good Shepherd Services is a leading youth development, education and family service agency with more than 80 programs that serve over 26,000 children, youth and families each year. Our after school program is an integral part of the local community with a long, proud history. We offer programming from 2:40pm – 5:40pm Monday through Friday throughout the school year and, during select vacation days/summer time, our program is open from 8am – 5pm. We are also open on select half days when P.S. 32 is not in session.
In order to enroll your child in our program, you will need to complete a new 2017-2018 After School application with an up-to-date physical examination/medical form within the last 365 days stamped and signed by your child’s doctor. Spaces are filled on a first-come first-serve basis, so we encourage all families to submit their applications soon after they are released to ensure the best chance of acceptance. If you are enrolling siblings, you will need to complete a separate application for each sibling. Although our program is free, we do ask that all families make a commitment to our attendance policy. In order to maintain your child’s place in our program, your child must attend at least 3 days per week. Unfortunately we are unable to accommodate families who will not be able to meet this minimum commitment.
- Applications for After School 2017-2018 will be available beginning Wednesday August 2nd 2017, 10:30am at P.S. 58 – 330 Smith Street, Brooklyn NY 11231
- Applications for After School 2017-2018 can be picked up from our summer location at P.S. 58 (330 Smith Street, Brooklyn NY 11231) from Wednesday August 2nd – Thursday August 17th from 10:30am – 5pm and then on Thursday September 7th 2017 from P.S. 32 (317 Hoyt Street, Brooklyn NY 11231) from 10:30am – 6pm.We will not be open between Friday August 18th – Wednesday September 6th to receive Applications.
- Acceptance notifications and mandatory parent orientation invitations will be released once completed applications are processed. We are unable to process incomplete applications.
- The 1st day of GSS After School Programming for 2017-2018 will be Tuesday, September 11th, 2017.
Should you have any questions regarding our after school program, please do not hesitate to reach out and speak with us. Our number is (718) 625-5876. We look forward to having your child join us!
Elementary Program Director