Thank you for your expression of interest in the Good Shepherd Services COMPASS After School Program @ P.S. 32!
APPLICATIONS FOR AFTER SCHOOL 2018-2019
AVAILABLE BEGINNING THURSDAY, JUNE 7th AT 9AM-3pm either by downloading the PDF or filling out an application in person at P.S. 32 – 317 Hoyt Street, Brooklyn NY 11231. If you choose to download the .pdf, print, scan and email back the completed application, please be aware that your original application documents will still be required.
- We will be open to distribute, receive and process After School 2018-2019 applications on the following days/times in June 2018: Thursday June 7th 9am – 3pm (Anniversary Day/Brooklyn Queens Day), Friday June 8th 10am – 6pm, Tuesday June 12th 10am – 6pm, Wednesday June 13th 10am – 6pm, Friday June 14th 10am – 6pm, Monday June 18th 10am – 6pm, Tuesday June 19th 10am – 6pm, Wednesday June 20th 10am – 6pm, Thursday June 21st 10am – 6pm, Friday June 22nd 10am – 6pm. We will be closed on Monday June 11 (NYC DOE Clerical Day) and Friday June 15th (Eid Al Fitr).
- Applications will continue to be accepted through the summer, however please note that we be relocated to our summer location: P.S. 58 – 330 Smith Street, Brooklyn NY 11231 from July 5th – August 17th Please call/email for operating times. We will not be back at P.S. 32 until September 2018.
- Acceptance notifications and mandatory parent orientation invitations will be released in August of 2018 once completed applications are processed. We are unable to process incomplete applications.
ABOUT OUR AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM
Our after school program runs in partnership with generous funding and support by the New York City Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) and is open to all students in Kindergarten (who are at least 5 years old) through 5th grade at P.S. 32 and the surrounding community. Previously known as OST (Out of School Time), COMPASS (COMPrehensive After School System) is a revamped model of after school programming which seeks to integrate best practices and cater to the whole child.
According to the NYC DYCD website, key elements of all COMPASS NYC programs are:
- Robust opportunities for youth to explore their interests and creativity
- Intentional integration of Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematic (STEM) into traditional programming to expose them to content and future professions
- Age-appropriate programming that is hands-on, project-based and aligned with educational standards
- Environments that support social and emotional learning
- High quality arts and sports instruction
- Strategies that support youth and families during critical educational transitions
- Emphasis on youth engagement and making learning fun
Our program aims to help youth build skills to support their academic achievement, raise their confidence, and cultivate their leadership skills through service learning and other civic engagement opportunities. Beyond STEM learning, we strive to integrate literacy into our classes and offer homework help, basic arts instruction, team building, dance and physical recreation. Good Shepherd Services is a leading youth development, education and family service agency with more than 80 programs that serve over 26,000 children, youth and families each year. Our after school program is an integral part of the local community with a long, proud history.
We offer programming from 3pm – 6pm Monday through Friday throughout the school year and, on during select days when school is closed, our program is open from 8am – 5pm. We are also open on select half days when P.S. 32 is not in session.
Click here to view the Tentative 2018-2019 After School Schedule of Classes.
Click here to visit the Good Shepherd Services (GSS) after school page. See restrictions and conditions for GSS after school enrollment.
- The 1st day of After School programming for 2018-2019 is tentatively Wednesday September 12th, 2018.
Should you have any questions regarding our after school program, please call Good Shepherd Services at (718) 625-5876 or email email@example.com
Karl Apelgren, Program Director Karl_Apelgren@GoodShepherds.org